Integrated Treatment Approach
Our team of compassionate, expert professionals are committed to helping you thrive during and after your cancer journey. Your cancer team will include:
- Social workers
Datasource: Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine
We care for people, not a diagnosis. Our program’s supportive services include:
- Acupuncture: The ancient Chinese medicinal technique of applying needles, heat or pressure to certain places on the skin, acupuncture is often used to relieve nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy.
- Cancer Recovery Program: Our hospital-based Medical Fitness Program offers recently diagnosed cancer patients, who are at the end of their treatment phase and ready for an exercise program, help returning to their normal activities.
- Cancer Support Groups: Come share your experiences with other cancer patients and their families in a supportive, comfortable environment, facilitated by social workers or trained counselors.
- Community Education: Memorial Cancer Institute is affiliated with the American Cancer Society, a nationwide, community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem.
- Image Recovery Center: The supportive, compassionate staff at the Image Recovery Center® will help you look and feel your best. Whether you need a wig (cranial prosthesis), breast prosthesis or lymphedema garment, our team of experts can assist you.
- Massage: We offer free, 10-minute chair massages to patients and their caregivers during chemotherapy or radiation treatments. You remain fully clothed during these massages, and no appointments are necessary.
- Nutrition Counseling: When you’re facing cancer, a healthy diet is more important than ever. Helping you make the right nutritional choices is part of how we care for all of you, not just treat your cancer. Award-winning chef Michelle Bernstein has teamed up with Memorial Cancer Institute to bring signature recipes to patients in cancer treatment at Memorial Regional Hospital, Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital and Memorial Hospital West.
- Pain and Symptom Management: A board-certified palliative care and pain management physician provides personalized attention to pain and other symptoms. The palliative approach is guided by the goals of patient and family and it includes supporting emotional, spiritual and cultural needs.
- Psychological Support: Our psycho-oncology team can help you through the ups and downs of cancer treatment. We provide emotional support and educate patients on healthy coping skills to successfully navigate their cancer journey. We also specialize in treating mood changes that can interfere with your quality of life.
- Social Services: From our dedicated patient navigators to teams of social workers and counselors, we’re here to help guide you through the sometimes complex and overwhelming healthcare system.